The website should be organized by technologies, not tools or groups or forum.
A technology is something like welding. Different groups or browsers will be interested in that conversation and will join. Related tools and organization could be listed in the welding section.
Right now, it is a little complicated the way we display tools. There are about a dozen different categories and I propose we reduce them to:
- Farming Practices
- Electronics, from circuits to solar panels
- Open-source, online collaboration, and Farm Hack website
I was a little more detailed for the latter two because I think I might participate the most there; I'm sure someone reading has a better idea for the former two. Having users browsing by tech first will reflect our objectives. People with similar skills and build plans can share projects and tips more relevantly.
I think we should basically have FOUR amount of tabs on top of the page:
- ABOUT: mission statement, governance, etc.
- GETTING STARTED: for the eager new user!
- TECH: as above, would feature tools, organizations, and current discussions
- FORUM: list "Farm Talk" first and then tech forum categories!
- EVENTS: flyers for upcoming events
Waddya think? Oh one more thing: I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD HAVE A BLOG ROLL. Perhaps have one box on the main page for announcing events but everything else should be in the "Farm Hack Talk". Maintaining a blog roll doesn't reflect equality in amongst community members since someone will be curating the blog roll.